Via Mazzini - San Felice sul Panaro - MO - 41038
Phone: 0535/86320 Ufficio Cultura
Fax: 0535/84362 Ufficio Cultura
The castle is home to the Venturini Museum
The most important monument in the town, with its square layout and corner towers, this building is a wonderful example of Emilian Medieval architecture. It acquired its current form under the dominion of the Estensi dukes. It was erected in 1340 by Marquise Obizzo and, in 1406 Marquise Niccolò III had it restored by a famous military architect, Bartolino Ploti da Novara. In 1421 additional works were performed to consolidate the fort. The Rocca houses the oldest Library in the region, founded in 1873, as well as the historical archive, a permanent archaeological exhibition and a hall used for environmental education. In the historic centre of the town three of the four towers that were once part of the city wall can still be seen. Recent work has restored this monument to its ancient splendour.