Piazza Calcagnini d'Este, 1 - Formigine - MO - 41043
Timetable:on January and February: on Sunday from 10.00 am to 1.00 pm. From the 1st of March to the 14th of June: on Saturdays and on Sundays: from 10.00 am ro 1.00 pm and from 3.00 pm to 7.00 pm. From the 15th of June to the 10th of August: on Sundays from 10.00 am to 1.00 pm and from 5.00 pm to 8.00 pm. From the 19th of August to the 31st of October: on Saturdays and on Sundays from 10.00 am ro 1.00 pm and from 3.00 pm to 7.00 pm. Special openings: 1st and 6th of January, 1st November, 8th and 26th of December: from 3.00 pm to 6.30 pm. On Monday Easter, 25th April, 1st May, 2nd June from 3.00 pm to 7.00 pm. Every July's Wednesday, the castle opens from 7.00 pm to 11.30 pm and on 10th of August from 5.00 pm to 11.30 pm.
In the tenth century, where today we admire the majestic castle,there stood a small church, perhaps already dedicated to St. Bartholomew.In 1201 the Modenese troops suffered a military defeat in the Formigine area,and consequently decided to fortify the zone.
From the mid thirteen hundreds the defensive structures were rationalised and the village was transferred outside the fortified area. When taken over by the Pio family, the rulers of Carpi, in 1405, the castle took
on its present aspect: the aristocratic residence known as the Marquis's
Palace was built beside the older nucleus.
In 1599 the castle passed to the d'Este family, who in turn ceded it as a feud to the Calcagnini family in 1648. During the Second World War, Formigine and its castle suffered heavy bombing damage, but immediately after the war the town council purchased the entire complex, repaired it and turned it into a municipal residence.
The old Castle and its Museum
The Museum and Archive Centre are housed in the oldest part of the castle, offering a fascinating
journey through time from the tenth century to the present day. There is a stimulating dialogue between
the interactive multimedia installations created by Studio Azzurro, a cultural research organisation
based in Milan, and the historical and archaeological research directed by the Venice Ca' Foscari University.
The Marquis's Palace
The part of the building originally used to accommodate the family of the ruling lords is the area
that today greets the public as they enter the castle. An information room near the reception explains
the history of the monument and the various parts that can be visited. On the first floor are the more
"institutional" rooms: the town council's Assembly Chamber, the Matrimonial Chamber, and various large rooms that may be rented for exhibitions, meetings or conferences.
The Archaeological Park
The park area contained within the castle walls covers an area of over 4,000 square metres and offers a
prospect of thriving greenery against the backdrop of the ancient towers. Thanks to a viewing point
connected to the old castle the visitor can look out across an archaeological site displaying the remains
of the small ancient monastery dedicated to Saint Bartholomew, as well as the adjacent bell tower and various tombs.
(Leaflet by: Chiara Vecchio Nepita, with Nicoletta Brigati, Rossella Gavioli, Vincenzo Vandelli
Translation: Logos Group, Photo credits: Alberto Lagomaggiore)
Entrance fee: € 4,00. From 7 June to 3 August the entrance is free for individual tourists, for groups (more than 20 persons) the fee is of € 3,00 per person.
Comune di Formigine Servizio Cultura e Turismo, via Unità d'Italia, 26 41043 Formigine
Tel. 059 416373-368 - Fax 059 416256
Castello di Formigine
piazza Calcagnini, 1, 41043 Formigine
Tel. 059 416145 - Fax 059 416143