Via dei Servi - Modena - MO - 41121
The building complex of San Bartolomeo dating back to 1607, originally hosted a College of the Jesuit Fathers where the young Modenese received religious education and got underway studying literature and science. When the Society of Jesus was suppressed in 1773, the College became the property of the Patrimonio di Studi and from 1798 to 1821 the rooms were occupied by the Supreme Council of Justice. After the Austro-Estensi returned to Modena in 1814 and the Society was restored, the Jesuits came back to San Bartolomeo in 1821, but little over 30 years later, with the end of the dukedom, they finally abandoned the city and the rooms were destined for the public school.
For over a century, from 1860 to 1973, the building was the headquarters of the Liceo Classico Muratori (secondary school), while the 18th century chapel of the Dames, next to the main entrance, at the beginning of the 20th century became the headquarters of the fire brigade, then gymnasium and finally multi-purpose hall. In 1985 the building, temporarily hosting the San Carlo secondary school, was hit by fire.