Via Selmi - Modena - MO - 41121
Timetable:The Church is closed
The S. Paolo complex dates back to 1192 and comprised two churches and an Augustinian convent which was later the Educatorio Provinciale school.
The church has its original Romanesque structure with 3 naves and characteristic tiered façade still visible from the outside. In 1603, the apses were demolished and the building was reduced by one whole span to make room for the inner church, used exclusively as a place of worship by the nuns of the enclosed order. The interior was completely renovated in 1653 by Cristoforo Malagola, “il Galaverna”. The convent was closed in 1798 and reopened in 1816 as a school for the Povenzitelle maidens, under the patronage of the ruling Austro-Este House. With Italian unification it became an Educatorio Provinciale.
How to get there
From Largo S.Agostino take Via Emilia and go all the way down to the Corso Duomo intersection. Turn into the Corso and keep to the right until you reach Via San Paolo on the left. Along this road turn right into Via Selmi.