Largo Sant'Eufemia - Modena - MO - 41121
Timetable:During working days: 7.00am-12.00am and 3.00pm-6.30pm. On holidays: 3.00pm-6.30pm. Holy Mess every day at 5.00 pm.
The church, designed by Cristoforo Malagola, “il Galaverna”, was built in 1650 and is what remains today of the medieval monastery of S. Eufemia. Closed in 1798, it was officiated again in 1832 by the Confraternity of Saint Peter Martyr which saw to its restoration. Following Napoleonic measures, the extremely vast monastic building was home to various institutions, such as prisons, the Carabinieri Headquarters and the University.
The interior is octagonal with unequal sides.
The presbytery, situated at the opposite side of the entrance, houses a painting of the '600 of the Pietà, and a sculpture of the "Addolorata (Our Lady of Sorrows)" dressed with rich drapes and whose head was attributed to Begarelli.
HOW TO GET THERE
Historic downtown area with limited traffic.
From Largo St. Augustine walk all the way to the intersection with Via Carteria. Take via Carteria until you cross via Santa Eufemia. Turn right and continue up to the entrance of the church on the right side.
For wheelchair users: a step at the entrance of 3 cm; inner door 77 cm wide.