Via Del Carmine, 4 - Modena - MO - 41121
Phone: +39 059/222450
Timetable:The church is currently closed for post-earthquake restoration. The cloister, sacristy and Sala del Capitolo can be visited daily from Monday to Saturday, 9.00 am to 12 noon and 4.00 pm to 7.00 pm. Closed Sundays. Mass is celebrated at the Church of the Suore del Gesu' in Via del Carmine 10: weekdays 9.00 am, public holidays 8.00 am and 11.00 am.
Ownership: Municipality of Modena
The ancient church of San Biagio stood in Via Emilia and was demolished in 1768. As a result, the parish was moved to Via del Carmine. Here there was a church dedicated to the Blessed Virgin of Monte Carmelo, which, according to a stone plaque inside, was erected in 1319 by the Carmelitani Calzati order and took the name of the church of San Biagio nel Carmine. The church was reconstructed according to a design by the architect Cristoforo Malagola, known as il Galaverna, and embellished with decorations and paintings. Its original structure was nonetheless preserved and surviving from the fourteenth century church is the southern side along Via Emilia.
The interior, with a single nave and six arches per side housing the side altars, has a deep apse. The choir and the dome contain an important fresco cycle painted by Mattia Preti in the mid 17th century. Of the seventeenth century frescoes by Agostino Mitelli and Angelo Colonna which decorated the vault of the sacristy only the central part remains.
Facing the cloister dating back to the 14th century and situated to one side of the church is a small chapel with gold coffered ceiling and a 14th century fresco by Tomaso da Modena depicting the Nursing Madonna.
(Source: "I luoghi sacri dell'arte – itinerari nelle chiese modenesi di proprietà comunale" - Comune di Modena- Artestampa, 1994)
HOW TO GET THERE:
Old city centre, limited traffic zone.
From Largo Sant'Agostino take Via Emilia as far as the junction with Via del Carmine. The church stands at the beginning of this street.