Piazza San Domenico, 13 - Modena - MO - 41121
Timetable:Closed, because of the 2012 earthquake.
The medieval Dominican Church was demolished in 1707/8 following works to complete the Ducal Palace. The new church was built according to a design by Giuseppe Torri and opened in 1731, before its completion. Elliptic in shape, the interior is covered by a dome, supported by coupled columns which surround the statues of the Evangelists by the Bolognese Giuseppe Maria Mazza. Paintings include the Saint Peter Martyr by Francesco Meuti and the Saint Thomas Aquinas by Cignaroli. The baptistery is home to the 1823 “Christ in the House of Mary and Martha” by Antonio Begarelli.
How to get there
It is located in the Historic Center where traffic is limited.
From Largo Sant'Agostino take Via Emilia all the way to the Via Farini intersection. Then go all the way down Via Farini until you reach Piazza Roma. The church is located on the left of the Ducal Palace on the opposite side of the street.