San Francesco Church

San Francesco Church

Rua Frati Minori, 19 - Modena - MO - 41121

Phone: +39(0)59/236218

Timetable:

The church opens from Monday to Sunday from 7.00 am to 12.00 pm and from 5.00 pm to 7.00 pm. Holy Messes: working days at 7.30 am and 6.30 pm; on Saturdays at 6.30 pm and at 9.15 pm (for Neocatecumenale Community); on Sundays at 7.30 am, 10.00 am, 11.15 am and 6.30 pm. Visits are not allowed during celebrations.

Ownwership: Parish Church of San Francesco

The church was constructed over a very long period of time - started in 1244 it had not yet been completed in 1445.

In 1535 it was completely restructured together with the adjacent monastery. In 1798 it was adapted for military use, thus suffering a rapid decline until in 1828 the duke Francis IV had it restored, reopening it for worship.

The brick façade is vertically articulated by pillars dividing it into three parts, and horizontally by a cornice underscored by arches. On the sides are four ogival windows (the upper two are blind). The central part features a rose window and beneath the stone portal is a painting of Saint Francis blessing a brother.

In the interior the Deposition of Christ being lowered from the Cross can be admired, as well as a group of thirteen statues sculpted around 1523 by Begarelli.

The Fountain of St. Francis is found in the court which opens on the northern side of the church of the same name.

Rising from it is the bronze statue of St. Francis preaching to the fish, designed by the engineer Cavazzuti. The statue is the work of G. Graziosi and dates back to 1938.

The sixteenth century octagonal bell tower originally had a spire.

 



How to get there

Historic centre area with limited traffic.
From Largo Sant.Agostino walk along Via Emilia until you find Corso Duomo, then turn on the right and go ahead to Corso Canalchiaro, the Church is on the left side.