Rua Frati Minori, 19 (angolo Corso Canalchiaro) - Modena - MO - 41121
Timetable:Open every day from 6.45 am to 19.00 pm. Services: weekdays 6.30 pm. Sundays 7.30 am; 10.00am; 11.00 am; 12.00am and 6.30pm.
The church was constructed over a very long period of time - started in 1244 it had not yet been completed in 1445.
In 1535 it was completely restructured together with the adjacent monastery. In 1798 it was adapted for military use, thus suffering a rapid decline until in 1828 the duke Francis IV had it restored, reopening it for worship.
In the interior the Deposition of Christ being lowered from the Cross can be admired, as well as a group of thirteen statues sculpted around 1523 by Begarelli.
The Fountain of St. Francis is found in the court which opens on the northern side of the church of the same name.
Rising from it is the bronze statue of St. Francis preaching to the fish, designed by the engineer Cavazzuti. The statue is the work of G. Graziosi and dates back to 1938.
How to get there
From Largo Sant.Agostino walk along Via Emilia until you find Corso Duomo, then turn on the right and go ahead to Corso Canalchiaro, the Church is on the left side.