Via Emilia Centro (near Piazza Matteotti) - Modena - MO - 41121
Timetable:The Church doesn't open for celebrations.
Ownership: Confraternita di San Giovanni Battista
Located on the western side of Piazza Matteotti facing out on Via Emilia, this church was originally dedicated to San Michele. It was reconstructed in the XVI century and restored to its current appearance in 1723 based on the design of Gerolamo Frigemelica Roberti.
The church has taken its name from Confraternita di San Giovanni della Buona Morte which has been officiating since August 1, 1774.
Above the door is the choir with organ built by Agostino Traeri, while the main altar is home to “The beheading of John the Baptist” by Francesco Vellani.
Of major artistic value is the splendid terracotta group depicting the Lamentation over Dead Christ, the work of the famous Modenese sculptor Guido Mazzoni, who executed it in 1477-80 for the Confraternity of the Good Death. It was moved to its current location in 1853.
A terracotta group made by the modenese artist Guido Mazzoni "Mourning on dead Christ" (1477/79) is hosted in the church. A wooden statue of St. John the Baptist, most likely by Bartolomeo Bonascia, is preserved in the sacristy.
How to get there
Historic center area
For disabled people: entrance: two 13 cm steps