viale G. Fassi, 3 - Carpi - MO - 41012
Phone: 059/685310 (parrocchia) - 059/685308 (convento)
Timetable:open for visits every day 8.00 am-12.00 noon and 3.30 pm-7.00 pm (on Sundays till 6.30 pm). Weekday Mass 8.30 am, 6.30 pm; Sundays and holidays 8.00 am, 9.30 am, 11.00 am, 5.30 pm; Saturdays 6.30 pm.
The San Nicolò church, currently the headquarters of the Franciscan Order, dates back to the XIII century. In 1449 a convent was built for the Friars Minor and the reconstruction of the church was started in 1494, upon decree by Alberto Pio III, Lord of Carpi. It was completed in 1516 by the architect Baldassarre Peruzzi who worked on the longitudinal body of the naves. The interior is an coincidence of noteworthy, well-balanced, Bramante architecture enhanced with XVI and XIX century decorations. The cupola holds frescoes by G. del Sega (1516), the choir by Ercole Meloni (1518), the tables by B. Loschi (San Rocco and the Annunciation, dating 1528). Lovely plaster pilaster strips play a particular role in Carpi masterpieces and there are paintings by F. Gessi, G. Dal Sole, L. De La Forest, F. Vellani, A. Consetti, F. Morni and the XIX century artist A. Lugli.