Piazza Giacomo Matteotti - Modena - MO
Despite being included in the directives for the redevelopment plan, on the same level as the emptying of Piazza XX Settembre, construction of Piazza Matteotti proved to be more complicated and took almost all the first half of the twentieth century. After the initial plans were drawn up in 1913 by engineer Parisi in the city council technical office, it wasn’t until 1933 and the initiative by the podestà that the first demolition work was started by the engineer Zaccaria and an agreement was signed with the IACP, leading to building of the council houses in Villa Santa Caterina to accommodate some of the homeless.
After a series of projects that were never put in place, which would have considerably altered the appearance of the Piazza, like the one for a building on Via Emilia or the call for tenders for the Cassa di Risparmio headquarters, in 1939, an agreement was signed with the Insurance Institute that purchased the area. This led to the solution drawn up by architects Corrado Corradini from Modena and Mario Loreti from Rome, the latter responsible for important projects in collaboration with important names such as Sergio Musmeci and Cesare Valle. This entailed the construction, on the western and northern sides of the square of two three-storey buildings with porticos having rational trilithic elements in attempt to reconcile a need for an official appearance with a study of modern architectural language.
Work was once more interrupted when World War Two broke out and only in 1949 did the Corassori executive with engineer Mario Pucci manage to complete the project, thanks to intervention by INA. The appearance of the square, officially finished in 1949, when it was named after G. Matteotti, recalls some aspects from the project in the thirties.
In particular it features two buildings with porticos on its western and northern sides, almost in the same previously planned positions.