Viale Martiri della Libertà, 34 - Modena - MO - 41121
The Provincial Government of Modena presents a large part of its art collection in a permanent exhibition housed in the 19th century halls of the Palazzo della Provincia.
The exhibition itinerary, arranged by historical nuclei, comprises paintings and sculptures prevalently by Modenese artists from the second half of the 19th century to the sixties of the 20th century. The works were bought through the century-old activity of artistic promotion carried on by the Province, a cultural role which constitutes the historical identity of the collection.
It is composed of over five hundred pieces among which paintings, graphic art, sculptures and furnishings from the 16th century to the present day. The largest nucleus is represented by the nineteenth/twentieth-century works. Among the works of greatest interest are the paintings by Giovanni Muzzioli, Gaetano Bellei, Narciso Malatesta, Giuseppe Graziosi, Mario Vellani Marchi, Casimiro Jodi, Nereo Annovi; graphic art by Benito Boccolari; sculptures by Ivo Soli and Vittorio Magelli. The collection accommodates a nucleus of works (paintings and furnishings from 1500 to 1800) originating from the S. Paolo Provincial Convent of Modena and the Orfanelle Institute of S.Geminiano of Modena (since 1988 S.Paolo - S. Geminiano Foundation). Paintings and altarpieces by Francesco Gessi, Girolamo Negri called Boccia and Giuseppe Varotti deserve special mention.