Corso Canalgrande, 103 - Modena - MO - 41121
Timetable:the offices are open from Monday to Friday 8.30 am to 13.45 pm; Monday and Thursday also 2.30 pm to 6.00 pm. Sundays offices are closed. Information desk at ground floor is open from Monday to Saturday 8.00 a.m. to 8.00 p.m. For exhibitions opening times pls check on web site.
Founded in 1959 by the City Administration, the Galleria Civica of Modena is today one of the most authoritative centers of culture in Italy.
Through temporary exhibitions of contemporary art and photography, and thanks to the numerous co operations with prestigious museums, associations and galleries throughout the world, this museum has achieved international renown, particularly in recent years.
It has two exhibition halls:
- Palazzo Santa Margherita in Corso Canalgrande 103, first and second floor, with broad, articulated spaces for exhibitions mainly of drawings and photographs, small personal exhibitions, cycles displaying and recognizing the research conducted by the last generation of artists.
- Palazzina dei Giardini in Corso Canalgrande, a XVII century building, a suggestive site for monographic and retrospective exhibitions.
It also has some permanent collections:
- the Collection of Contemporary Design
- the Collection of Contemporary Photography
- the Collection of Contemporary Graphic Art
- the Museum of picture cards
In a specially prepared space, adjacent to the Sala Grande in Palazzo Santa Margherita, during art exhibitions and in cooperation with the Modena City Aldermanship for Education, specialists offer didactic workshops for children between the ages of 3 and 14. Starting from the work of art, these workshops use an original, fun-filled method to present the museum content to children, inviting them to freely interpret and express their own creativity and imagination through the use of an infinite variety of materials.