viale Vittorio Veneto, 5 - Modena - MO - 41121
Timetable:From Monday to Saturday: from 8.30 am to 7.30 pm; on Sundays and holidays: from 9.30 am to 7.30 pm.
The building, built in the mid-eighteenth century, initially housed the military arsenal.
Designed by the duke Francesco III d'Este to house the General House of the Poors, was renovated by Pietro Termanini in 1769. In 1788 it was turned into the House of the Crafts and into the building were set up works and factories. After the restoration, the building housed a military hospital, a prison and accommodation of officers; in 1828 received the Lapidary Museum set up by the duke Francesco IV of Austria-Este.
Italian unification marked a new stage in the history of the building, that was partially purchased by the Public Administration in 1881, in order to reunite the art and bibliographic collections left by the Este to the town, and the civic and cultural institutions.
On the ground floor of the Palace Museum, in the northern courtyard, there is a reception for all the cultural institutions hosted into the building, that is:
- Historical Archives
- Estense Library
- Municipal Museum of Art
- Municipal Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology
- Este Gallery
- Public Library of Art "Luigi Poletti"
Museum merchandising, catalogs and publications produced by the cultural institutes in the building.
There are also the new edition of the cd rom "Mutina: rediscovery of a Roman city," and the guide of the Roman Lapidary Museum.
The cafeteria offers light lunch, hot and cold drinks and a place to stay for recreation and reading.
Divided into 3 rooms, the laboratory offers the opportunity to use equipment, tools and materials that stimulate creativity, help understanding and planning. Educational programs are offered to both schools and the city with the aim of creating an education system spread throughout the territory.