piazza dei Contrari, 3 - Vignola - MO - 41058
Timetable:It's open during the week-ends and the "public holday" working days.
This imposing palace completed in 1566-67 rises in front of the fortress. Ercole Contrari il Giovane had it built in 1560 on design of the architect, Jacopo Barozzi (born here and hence called "il Vignola"). When the Contrari dynasty died out it was handed to the Boncompagnis.
The palace is composed of a central body and two wings; the main façade has an ashlar central door. In a side wing of the palace the famous winding staircase with oval plan and hanging steps can be admired, built by Bartolomeo Tristano on design of Barozzi.
In 1880 Prince Antonio Boncompagni had the palace frescoed by the Modenese painters Fermo Forti and Angelo Forghieri.
For information and guided tours:
Ufficio Sport e Turismo Comune di Vignola
Tel. 059-777606 Fax 059-764129
Parrocchia di Vignola - tel. 059-771062
Price: euro 2,00 per person