Modena - MO - 41100
Palazzo Ducale - Piazza Roma
This building is one of the most prestigious Italian Baroque royal palaces. From 1635, Duke Francesco I had it erected on a design by Luigi Bartolomeo Avanzini. Today it houses the Modena Military Academy.
Palazzo Comunale - Piazza Grande
This important building is featured by an elegant colonnade which embraces Piazza Grande. It was constructed in the 1600's by joining together a series of individual adjacent, medieval buildings and used as the community seat.
Palazzo Boschetti - Via S. Agostino no. 18
Particularly noteworthy are some seventeenth century frescos on the ceilings and in the halls housing the paint gallery, depicting allegories and mythological scenes.
Palazzo Boschetti - Corso Canalgrande no. 84
The original 1700's aspect of this building has for the most part been lost, modified by subsequent restructuring in 1800. Since 1898 it has been home of Banca d'Italia.
Palazzo del "Belvedere" - corner of Corso Canalgrande and Via Mascherella
In the 1900's this building was reconstructed in Rococo style based on a design by architect Guerzoni. In the XVIII century it was called "del belvedere" because from here one could enjoy a view of the Ducal Gardens (500 meters away).
Palazzo Calori-Cesis - Corso Canalgrande no. 86
Some scholars indicate that this XVIII century building was designed by the architect Andrea Tarabusi. It has a beautiful atrium and the grand staircase has great, spectacular effect.
Palazzo Campori - Via Ganaceto (opposite Via S. Orsola)
This 1800's building was damaged by bomb during the Second World War. It was the home of the renowned Galleria Campori.
House were Ciro Menotti lived - Corso Canalgrande no. 88
Palazzo Carandini - Via Carandini
Built in 1823 over an older renaissance house of which we can see the arcade and arches in the courtyard, this structure was designed in 1823 by Giuseppe Soli.
Palazzo Casarini - Via Castelmaraldo no. 15, the rear façade faces onto Via Ramazzini
This building contains the vestiges of the ancient Castrum Maraldi, castle build to defend the city in the XII century.
Palazzo D'Aragona - Corso Vittorio Emanuele no. 59
Built in the second half of the XVII century and restructured by Termanini in 1772, this building is home of the National Academy of Sciences, Letters and the Arts.
Palazzo dell'Arcivescovado - Corso Duomo (corner of Via S. Eufemia towards Canalchiaro)
This building was erected in the 1400's and rebuilt in 1776. The rusticated corner with diamond-shaped point holds a bust of bishop Boccaccio that dates to 1482.
Palazzo Delfini - Corso Canalgrande no. 21 (opposite Via Gherarda)
This building was restored in 1700's.
Palazzo Ferrari - Piazza Matteotti (adjacent to the Voto Church)
This building has a noteworthy 1500's rusticated portal attributed to Jacopo Barozzi called "il Vignola".
Palazzo Ferrari-Moreni - Via Rua Muro no. 60
This building is a classic example of Renaissance architecture.
Palazzo Fogliani - Corso Canalchiaro no. 70
This building, once called the Bellencini house, was built in 1491 as indicated by a memorial stone under the colonnade.
Palazzo Fontana - Piazzetta dei Servi
This structure was built in 1500 and restored in the 1800's by Cesare Costa who added the marble balustrade.
Palazzo Fontanelli - Via Taglio no. 24
This recently restored building was once home to general Achille Fontanelli, Minister of the Regno d'Italia.
Palazzo Foresto - Corso Canalgrande (opposite Via Università)
This building takes it name from the person who built it in 1773 for his home.
Palazzo Forni-Cervaroli - Piazzale Torti (corner of Via Selmi)
This building, built in 1865 on a design by Giovanni Lotti, is in the Lombard Renaissance style.
Palazzo Frosini - Via Cesare Battisti no. 85
The façade of this XVIII century building was done over by Vincenzo Maestri in the XIX century.
Palazzo Galliani-Coccapani - Corso Vittorio Emanuele no. 41 (corner of V.S. Orsola)
This 1600's building was restructured in the 1700's.
Palazzo Ghisellini - Via Rua Muro no. 78
This building, in the style of the Ferrarese architect Rossetti, dates to the 1400's. According to tradition the three spheres seen on the corner represent the "bowls" with which the owner won the building in a bowling match.
Palazzo Giacobazzi - Via Ganaceto no. 97
This building was built in the XVII century.
Palazzo Grillenzoni - Via Rua Muro no. 94
This building dates to the 1700's.
Palazzo Levizzani - Corso Canalchiaro (between Via Levizzani and Via Bonaccorsi)
Later owned by Cugini, this building was constructed in the 1500's and until the XVIII century it had a double colonnade opening forward to the street.
Palazzo Marchisio - Corso Canalgrande (corner of Via Emilia Centro)
This building was restructured in the XVIII century.
Palazzo Molza - Via Ganaceto
Currently the home of the Chamber of Commerce, this XVII century building was restructured in the 1800's.
Palazzo Montecuccoli - Via Rua Muro no. 62
This XVII century building was later restructured.
Palazzo Montecuccoli degli Erri - Via Emilia Centro (opposite Largo Muratori)
Formerly Palazzo Munarini, this building was erected in the mid 1800's on a design of Vincenzo Maestri.
Palazzo Rangoni-Macchiavelli - Via Farini no. 3
This building dates to the 1600's.
Palazzo Sabatini-Carbonieri - Corso Canalgrande
Now Palazzo Martinelli, this building was constructed in the XVIII century. It has a stunning staircase frescoed by Francesco Vellani. The wrought iron gates and other works in the courtyard are by Giovanni Battista Malagoli.
Palazzo Schedoni - Corso Canalgrande (corner of Via Mascherella)
Built as an Augustinian convent in the 1500's, this building was restored by Soli in 1789.
Palazzo Seghizzi-Coccapani - Corso Canalgrande no. 20
This building was constructed in the 1500's and is attributed to Vignola.
Palazzo Severi - Via Francesco Selmi
This building has preserved its Renaissance appearance and, on Via Tre Re, it has a medieval service building.
Palazzo Solmi - Via Emilia Centro (opposite Via Ganaceto)
This building dates to the Middle Ages and was completely redone in the 1700's, possibly on a project by Termanini.
Palazzo Sacerdoti - Via Rua Muro no. 76
This building is presumed to be the birthplace of that man of letters Ludovico Castelvetro; his bust is to be found in the corner of the building.
Palazzo S. Margherita - Corso Canalgrande
This neoclassical building by Francesco Vandelli was built in 1830. It houses the Antonio Delfini Library, the Galleria Civica and the Orazio Vecchi musical institute.
Palazzo Tacoli-Ronchetti - Piazza S. Domenico no. 6 (corner of Via Cesare Battisti)
This building was built in 1468 and restructured in the XVIII century.
Palazzo Tagliazucchi - Via Mondatora
Formerly the Pavarotti home, this structure dates back to the 1500's.
Palazzo Vicini - Via Rua Muro no. 96
Built in the 1700's, the façade was redone in the 1800's. The scagliola Madonna on the inside is worthy of note.