Via Gramsci - Fiorano Modenese - MO - 41042
Phone: 0536/833412 Ufficio Cultura Comune di Fiorano Modenese
Timetable:Not open for visits
The building is a typical example of a XIX century holiday residence with simple, yet elegant, lines, built on a pre-existing structure.
Built by Pietro Cuoghi, the structure may have been enlarged and improved toward the end of the 1700's, early 1800's by Giuseppe Cuoghi, councillor at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, when he moved to Fiorano in 1796.
The architectural fashions of the 1700's are reflected in the ovoid windows of the attic and the cornice sills. Oral tradition has the monolithic ionic columns, that serve as protiro of the main entrance to the villa, coming from the sumptuous Estensi residence of Rivalta, which was nearly completely destroyed some time at the turn of the century (1700-1800). In the entrance hall the paintings showing the main views of Italian cities, date back to the second half of the 1800's. These paintings were most likely the work of a pupil of Adeodato Malatesta who, at that time, was engaged in the restoration of the paintings in the cupola of The Fiorano Sanctuary. Purchased in 1973 by the Fiorano City Administration, Villa Cuoghi is the home of the City Recreation Center, exhibition hall and cultural clubs.
The physically disabled can only access the ground floor.
How to get there
By car: from Modena take the beltway toward Formigine, then take the Giardini provincial road S.P. 3 to Maranello and then follow the directions for Fiorano.
By train: from the Modena train station, take the inter-city bus to Fiorano.