Spilamberto - MO
How to get there
By car: from the beltway follow the indications for Vignola, then take Passo Brasa state road 623 called the Vignolese road and continue to Spilamberto. By train: from the Modena train station take city bus no. 7 to the Bus Station and then take the bus to Spilamberto.
Spilamberto is in a position to offer the visitor excursions running along the banks of the Panaro river and scenes of the initial Modena foothills. In particular the Nature Route runs through the river area which can be walked, or visited by bicycle. It offers suggestive woods of poplars and willows.
After passing Vignola, the route reaches the Marano Park.
Historic Center of Spilamberto
One will first note the Tower that dates back to the XIV century. Recently this tower houses the Antiquarium.
At the entrance to the centre one sees the Fabriani Villa built in the XVIII century and enlarged in the XIX century.
It has finely decorated walls and ceilings and a noteworthy sculpture on the ground floor.
The attic of the building holds a prestigious balsamic vinegar farm owned by the City and the Consorteria.
Nearby is the Bargello Palace, home of the Spilamberto feudal lords. The Pavaglione portico once held the market where silk cocoons were traded as early as in 1578. Adjacent to the Palace is the ancient Rangoni spinning mill built in 1609.
Just a short distance away is the XVII century Racchetta Courtyard and the Convent of the St. Franciscan Nuns, constructed in 1713 by the Rangoni family which owned the chapel bearing the same name.
Opposite the tower is the Rocca Rangoni fortress.
Built in the XIII century and modified several times over the centuries it has always been owned by the family just as Villa Ida built in the early 1900's.
Of the ancient castle one can still see the remains of the XIII century walls and the guard tower. Just a little way from Via Obici is the Comuna Vecchia or Palazzo del Governatore (Governor's Palace) built in 1425 and which once served as the city hall. At the back is an ancient cavalry garrison, called the Stallone, with interesting embattlements.
The City Hall is now located in a fascist age building that houses noteworthy works of art by contemporary artists.
Worth visiting: the church of San Giovanni Battista built in the XIII century and restored in the 1700's; the church of S. Adriano III Papa built in 1214 but reconstructed in 1713 with a bell tower from the 1800's and, on the inside, an ancient pipe organ; the now deconsecrated church of Santa Maria degli Angeli, built in the 1700's and used as a hospital until the XIX century; Carmine Church, built in 1614 and containing three plaster altar-frontal and a holy water stoup from the 1500's.
- San Vito Church
It was named a Parish in 1186 and underwent numerous restorations and renovations. The 1900's façade and bell tower are neoclassical in style. On the inside the baptistery has a marble basin and plaster altar-front and an ancient pipe organ.
- Collecchio Oratory
We find mention of this church as early as the 1400's but it appears to have been founded in the XI century.
Dedicated to Our Lady of the Annunciation, it was reconstructed and reconsecrated at the end of the XVII century.