Camposanto - MO - 41031
The town developed between the 14th and 15th century, after the River Panaro was forced into the Naviglio near Bomporto, probably at the start of the 14th century.
The purpose of this diversion was to stop the Panaro from overflowing while, at the same time, increase the Naviglio's capacity with the aim of improving navigation even when there was little water.
The rise in river traffic, customs tolls and fishing attracted the population from the nearby countryside. The town was elevated to the status of County in the 17th century. Lastly, in 1860 Camposanto became a Municipality.
The town contains a number of features of artistic interest, such as the Parish Church, dedicated to the town's patron saint - St. Nicolas the Bishop - which dates back to 1629 and the complex known as La Corte - a small, square palazzo which is completed by the striking "Torre Ferraresi" on its left-hand side.
IAT - Tourist Information and Assistance Office
Address: Piazza Grande, 14 c/o historical entrance Town Hall
telephone: 059/2032660 - Fax: 059/203265
Web site: http://turismo.comune.modena.it/
Opening times: from Monday to Saturday 9.00am to 1.00pm and 3.00pm to 6.00pm; Sunday and Holidays only from 9.30am to 12.30pm. Closed 25th and 26th December, 1st and 31st January.
Ab. 3249 (last update 2014)
How to get there
By car: from Modena take the ring direction Nonantola, then follow the signs direction Bomporto- Camposanto going on S.P. 2 Panaria Bassa.
Railway Station: Camposanto
Bus: Extra-urban lines ATCMfrom Modena bus station, line Modena-Finale
- Main Roads: S.S. n.12 dell'Abetone-Brennero called Canalletto;
- Provincial roads Via Panaria Bassa, n.5 Castelvetro;
- Train station: yes
- Airport: Bologna 41 Km
- Emergency medical service of San Felice sul Panaro - tel. 0535/654545
From Mondays to Saturdays 20.00-8.00, and from the day before holyday from 10,00 to 08.00 of the day after holyday
- Hospital of Mirandola Via Gogazzaro 1; tel. 0535/602111. First aid 118
- Blue cross Croce Blu - Via Marconi 33 - tel. 0535/88111
- Municipal Police Polizia Intercomunale Unione del Sorbara: Via Roma 46 - tel. 0535/88111 - cell.348/3117906-07 - fax 0535/419308
- Carabinieri (the Police station is in San Felice sul Panaro, via Abba 2) -tel.0535/85449 - fax 0535/83794
- Fire departement (the station is in San Felice sul Panaro): via Bergamini, 247 - tel. e fax 0535/84122.
City of art