CONCORDIA - MO - 41033
BECAUSE OF THE EARTHQUAKE OF THE LAST 2012, MOST OF THE MONUMENTS OF CONCORDIA ARE STRONGLY DAMAGED. CHURCHES, SCHOOLS AND THE TOWNHALL ARE TEMPORARILY CLOSED.
Several theories have been put forth on the origins of the name Concordia. The city may have taken its name from an agreement to divert the River Po', therefore becoming Concordia (agreement).
In 1396, it developed into a real community, whose economic survival was based on its "mulini natanti" - flat-bottomed rafts anchored against the current to either the shores of the river or to the pylons of the bridge.
These were used as mills and followed the changes in the current. A model of one of these rafts can still be seen in the atrium of the Town Hall today. In 1450, the ancient stronghold of Rocca di Concordia was transformed into a castle.
In 1711, the Pico estate was purchased by the Duke of Modena and Concordia passed under the dominion of the Estensi.
The following places are worth a visit: the Church of Santa Caterina and the Church of San Paolo, which dates back to the 16th century, but was restructured in the 19th century and contains works by the Modena-born painter, Adeodato Malatesta.
The stretch between Ponte sulla Secchia and the Largo La Couronne staircase of the Passeggiata dei Mulini is also recommended. The bank of the river has been lit and cleaned up here to allow visitors to enjoy a lovely view over the course of the river and the historical city centre.
IAT - Tourist Information and Assistance Office
Address: Piazza Grande, 14 c/o historical entrance Town Hall
Telephone: 059/2032660 - Fax: 059/2032659
Web site: http://turismo.comune.modena.it/
Opening times: from Monday to Saturday 9.00am to 1.00pm and 3.00pm to 6.00pm; Sunday and Holidays only from 9.30am to 12.30pm. Closed 25th and 26th December, 1st and 31st January.
8.839 (last update 2014)
How to get there
By car: take the ringroad direction Carpi, passed the town of Carpi follow the direction Novi - Concordia.
Railwaystation Modena (37 Km)
Bus Extra-urban lines ATCM from Modena bus station, line Modena-Concordia
- Main Road: none
- Provincial road: n.5 Cavezzo, n. 7 delle Valli direction Vallalta, n.8 Mirandola, n.8.2 Mirandola direction Moglia;
- Airport: Bologna 77 Km
- Emergency medical service-tel. 0535/654649
From Mondays to Saturdays 20.00-8.00, and from Saturadys 10,00-08.00 of Mondays, including midweek holydays
- Mirandola Hospital via Fogazzaro, 1 - tel. 0535/602111. First Aid 118
- Blue cross Croce Blu - Via Pederzoli, 113 - tel.0535.40175
- Municipal Police Polizia MunicipaleVia del Volontariato - tel. 0535.412959, fax 0535.412958, for emergencies cell. 329.7504071
- Carabinieri Via del Volontariato - tel. 0535.57476, 0535.40609, fax 0535.40051, for emergencies 112
- State Forestry -Corpo forestale dello Stato: toll free numebr 800 841051
City of art