NOVI - MO - 41016
BECAUSE OF THE EARTHQUAKE OF THE LAST MAY 2012, THE HISTORIC CENTER OF NOVI IS TEMPORARILY CLOSED AND THE CLOCK TOWER'S BEEN DESTROYED.
Several archaeological finds confirm the existence of a Roman town in the area. The first historical sources mentioning Castrum Nove date back to 979. In the 13th century, the castle was turned into a fortress as a result of its position on the border between the Estensi, Pico, Gonzaga and Pio territories. In 1530, after a period of particular prosperity under the Pio family, Novi came under the rule of the Estensi, where it remained until the end of the 18th century.
The parish church dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel is located in the centre of the town. It contains a large sandstone slab representing Christ Pantocrator dated between the 12th and 13th century which can be attributed to the school of the Maestri Campionesi.
In Rovereto, the Church bearing its name, as well as the Palazzo Estensi delle Lame and the Oratorio, the Palazzo Grillenzoni - now Meloni - are all worthy of note, as are the Torre della Sacchella, the Palazzo Pio di Savoia - now Gasparini Casari - and the Oratorio dell'Imaccolata Concezione in the hamlet of Sant'Antonio di Mercadello.
IAT Tourist Information office Terre Piane
Via Berengario, Carpi
tel. 059/649255, Web, Email
Opening time: Mondays 15.00-18.00, from Tuesdays to Saturdays 9.30-13.00/15.00-18.00, Public Holidays: 9.30-12.30
10.465 (last update 2014)
How to get there
By car: from Modena Nord tollgate take the tangential direction Carpi. Carpi go once they reach a few kilometers following the signs for Novi.
Bus Extra-urban lines ATCM from Modena bus station, line Modena-Carpi- Moglia