San Possidonio - MO - 41039
BECAUSE OF THE 2012 EARTHQUAKE, SAN POSSIDONIO WAS STRONGLY DAMAGED. THE CHIESA PARROCCHIALE IS TEMPORARILY CLOSED.
San Possidonio's origins can be apparently be traced back to the late bronze age. The area was certainly inhabited by the Romans. After the year 1000, San Possidonio became part of the fife of the Marquis of Tuscany before coming under the dominion of the Pico family in the first few years of the 14th century, where it remained until 1710, when it passed to the Estensi.
The town's main monument is its Parish Church. Villa Bellini and Villa Varini are located right outside the town.
Of its many environmental-naturalistic attractions, special mention must be made of the environmentally protected area of the "Ex-cave di Burdighello". The area is comprised of caves and used to be a quarry for the extraction of building materials. Over the years, the caves filled with ground water, giving life a rich ecosystem.
The complex has been equipped to welcome visitors with rest areas and an observation point on a covered-roof terrace.
IAT - Tourist Information Office
Address: Piazza Grande, 14 c/o historical entrance Town Hall, Modena
Telephone: 059/2032660 - Fax: 059/2032659
Web site e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Opening times : from Monday to Saturday 9.00am to 1.00pm and 3.00pm to 6.00pm; Sunday and Holidays only from 9.30am to 12.30pm. Closed 25th and 26th December, 1st and 31st January
3.707 (last update 2014)
How to get there
By car: dallla Modena ring road follow signs for Mirandola, then take the SS 12 Abetone-Brennero, called Canaletto, then follow the signs for San Possidonio, through SP 5 Cavezzo of Cavezzo and beyond.
Bus Extra-urban lines ATCM from Modena bus station, line Modena - Carpi - Concordia