Pieve di Santa Maria in Castello - Sagra church

Pieve di Santa Maria in Castello - Sagra church

The Sagra is the mother church of Carpi. Tradition and legend have the church dating back to the mid VIII century (752 A.D.) through the intercession of the Lombard King Astolfo. However, the oldest historical documents regarding the church date from the IX century (978 A.D.).

The current Romanesque temple appears to be the result of a reconstruction that Matilda of Canossa had performed in the early XII century. The original interior, shaped like a three-nave basilica, was altered in 1514, when the majority of the church was destroyed. What we see today is, therefore, only the apse of that church.

The current Bramante-style façade was erected using a project by the architect Baldassarre Peruzzi. On the inside, restored by A. Sammarini in the late 1800's, we can admire the Romanesque structure and the frescoes in the nave and in the Byzantine apse (XII century). Worthy of note is the XII century ambo, the portal with the Crucifixion, the 1351 sarcophagus of Manfredo Pio and the cycle of early XV century frescoes in the Santa Caterina and San Martino Chapels, the latter by Antonio Alberti of Ferrara. Restoration was begun in 1983 and concluded in 1986, while restoration of the frescoes was completed in 1992.

Opening hours

Thursday, Saturday and Sunday from 10.00 am to 12.00 am. Saturday and Sunday afternoon, reservation is required at 059/649255.

Tickets and admission

Free entrance.

To know before you go

For guided tours and information please call 059/649255.