Ownwership: Arcidiocesi di Modena e Nonantola
The medieval Dominican Church was demolished in 1707/8 following works to complete the Ducal Palace.
The new church was built according to a design by Giuseppe Torri and opened in 1731, before its completion. Elliptic in shape, the interior is covered by a dome, supported by coupled columns which surround the statues of the Evangelists by the Bolognese Giuseppe Maria Mazza. Paintings include the Saint Peter Martyr by Francesco Meuti and the Saint Thomas Aquinas by Cignaroli. The baptistery is home to the 1823 “Christ in the House of Mary and Martha” by Antonio Begarelli.
Currently closed due to the earthquake of 2012.