San Possidonio

San Possidonio

San Possidonio’s origins appear to stretch back to the Late Bronze Age. By the time of the Romans, the area was definitely inhabited and, during the High Middle Ages, it became a part of the Reggio Emilia holdings of the Lombard kingdom.

The town of San Possidonio is located about 45 km from Modena.

After the year 1000, San Possidonio was a fiefdom of the marquises of Tuscany. In the early 14th century it fell under the dominion of the Pio family, where it remained until 1710 when it passed to the House of Este. In 1723 it was conceded as a fiefdom to Pietro Tacoli, a nobleman of Reggio-Emilia, who built the palazzo on the banks of the Secchia River. His son, Achille, ordered the construction of the parish church, which is today the village’s main monument. San Possidonio was severely damaged in the 2012 earthquake, and the church is currently closed to visitors.

Why it's worth a trip

Located nearby is the reserve known as the Budrighello Quarries, an especially popular stop for nature lovers.

Over time, the Budrighello Quarries, once known for the building materials that were mined there, filled with ground water, creating a rich ecosystem that is today home to numerous species of trees and plants and a wide variety of birds. The complex, which is designated an environmental rehabilitation area, is equipped with rest areas and an observation deck. During hunting season, which runs from the third Sunday of September to January 31, the Quarries are largely closed to visitors, but, during September and October, they are open on Thursday and Sunday mornings only.

The Raganella Center for Sustainability Education

The Raganella Center for Sustainability Education is part of the Province of Modena’s network of environmental education centers for sustainable development.

Good things to eat

In addition to products representative of the Modena area, including Modena’s traditional PDO (protected designation of origin) balsamic vinegar, its PGI (protected geographical indication) balsamic vinegar, its PDO Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, varieties of sparkling red lambrusco wine, zampone and cotechino (dishes made from a mixture of ground pork flavored with herbs and spices and stuffed into the hollowed-out trotter or lower-leg of a hog), and such traditional offerings as fresh egg pasta, San Felice Salame also comes from this area. This variety of cured meat is known for its delicious aroma and characteristic sweetness, both of which are the result of the use of selected cuts of pork obtained exclusively from local hog farms. Its intense ruby-red color and soft texture come from red wine—always a lambrusco—added during its preparation. San Felice Salame is produced and packaged exclusively in the towns and villages of Camposanto, Cavezzo, Concordia sulla Secchia, Finale Emilia, Medolla, Mirandola, San Felice sul Panaro, San Possidonio, and San Prospero in Modena Province


Villa Bellini and Villa Varini are located just outside the town.