The first fortifications of Mons Gibus or Gibulus (humpy mount) probably date back to the beginning of the 10th century, when the clergymen of Parma’s cathedral did their utmost to defend their own territories from the Magyars. Montegibbio castle belonged to Bonifacio of Tuscany and to his daughter Matilde of Canossa, and lies within the circle of fortresses built to defend the Lands of Canossa. At the beginning of the 14th century it was handed over to the Della Rosa Family, the lords of Sassuolo, who fortified it in 1321. Montegibbio then followed the fate of Sassuolo, becoming the Este Family’s property in 1357 and the Pio Family’s in 1499. The castle underwent considerable damage in the 1501 earthquake. In 1599 it was handed over to the Este Family again together with Sassuolo, but in 1636 the lands of Montegibbio were yielded to the Boschetti Family of Modena who rebuilt the castle and kept the large estate, which was then transformed into a marquisate, until 1676. After many handovers, in 1851 the castle became the summer residence of the Borsari nobles – prominent landowners of Finale Emilia, and was completely rebuilt, and work was completed in 1872. The castle, together with the annexed Park, has belonged to the Municipality of Sassuolo, to the Provincial Council and to the Municipality of Modena since 1972.
A sandstone and brick door leads you to a small village surrounding the central court whose elliptic form testifies its adjustment to the top part of the hill. The imposing medieval Keep, which preserves its original raised portal, overlooks the court together with the elegant Palace and Saint Peter’s church with its ornate baroque interior. The Palace’s rooms, decorated with patterns of neo-medieval taste, preserve an evocative end of nineteenth - beginning of twentieth century appearance. The communal vinegar works of Sassuolo were opened in 2003 in the rural buildings and can be visited by booking at the IAT, the equivalent of the Italian Tourist Board (contact number: 0536 1844853).
The Giuseppe Medici Park
It is a “romantic” English-style garden enclosed within the walls of Montegibbio Castle, and extends for approximately 30 hectares. It is full of ancient trees and is an important Scots pine tree relictual zone together with oak trees, ash, hornbeams, chestnut trees and hazelnut trees. It is open all year round.
The castle is closed to the public. The park can be visited all year round.
To know before you go
Entrance and guided tours:
The Castle can be visited upon request and by appointment.
Contact Associazione Boschetti Alberti and organize a free tour inside the Castle, the Historic Park and in the Courtyard of the Castle. The tour can be operated with minimum 10 participants.
The Courtyard and the park can be visited all year round
For further information and booking: https://www.castellodimontegibbio.com/visite