Palazzo Pio - Carpi
Built as a fortified castle and expanded over the centuries with joined towers and turrets, Palazzo dei Pio was the noble residence of the Pio family from the 14th to the 16th century.
From the courtyard, walk to the main floor, where the Municipal Museum and the Palazzo Pio Museum are located. The museum’s collections include important exhibits that illuminate the area’s history and art.
The Museum and Monument to Political and Racial Deportees is on the ground floor, a moving memorial to the tragic events of WWII. In 1944, the Nazis transformed the camp at Fossoli, a village near Carpi, into a “police and transit camp for political and racial deportees.” From that moment on, convoys left Fossoli destined for the most notorious extermination camps of northern Europe.