This fortified centre was residence of the Da Spezzano family in the XII century and of the Da Castello family in the XIV century. In 1535 it became the fief of the Pio family, lords of Carpi and remained one of the most important seats of their rule until the late 1500's. After a period of dominion by the Estense family, the castle was enfeoffed to Marquises Coccapani who held it until 1796. The last owners turned it over to the Town in 1983. The XVI century courtyard, the drawbridge and the XVII century frescos on the inside have all been preserved. Of great interest are of the "Sala delle Vedute" and the "Galleria delle Battaglie" (Hall of Views; Gallery of Battles).
The building holds also the Museo della Ceramica (Museum of Pottery)
For guided tours, opening dates and times check the website.
Venue for events
The building also hosts exhibitions, displays, meetings, conventions and concerts. The Castle is rented to private citizens, companies, associations and organisations for receptions, social and/or corporate gatherings, weddings ect.
The room "Sala delle Vedute" holds 100 seats. The other 4 rooms hold up to 120 seats. The portico, courtyard and hanging garden can be used for meetings and parties.
For the Sala delle Vedute are granted seats, tables, microphones, amplifications and recorders. On request, are available slide projector and film projector.
By car: from Modena take the beltway toward Formigine, then turn into the Giardini road S.P. 3 and follow it to Maranello, then follow the directions for Fiorano. From highway A1, exit Modena Sud and then follow the direction to Maranello. Before reaching Fiorano, at Spezzano, take Via del Castello.
By train: from the Modena train station, take the inter-city bus to Fiorano